Definition of rescue bid in English:
1An attempt to save someone or something from a dangerous or precarious situation: Essex University may launch a rescue bid to save the Palace Theatre
More example sentences
- Local reporters inside Parliament House said the situation inside was tense, with the insurgents fearful of a military rescue bid.
- Late this afternoon, a meeting of creditors voted down a rescue bid for the company.
- Mr Bunting was also presented with a Royal Humane Society award in recognition of the vital role he played in the rescue bid.
2 Bridge A bid intended to get one’s partner out of a contract which could not be made.
- B's "rescue" bid was the second mistake in the hand.
- There are several other variations of established first responses to an opening of a Gambling 3 No Trump. One variation is presented below, which employs the so-called Rescue Bid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia