Have a similar appearance to or qualities in common with (someone or something); look or seem like: some people resemble their dogs they resembled each other closely
More example sentences
- The theory of dogs resembling their owners was put to the test at a fun dog show recently.
- Figures resembling servants often appear along with the flight crews.
- The beets are cut up mechanically into slices in machines resembling giant food processors.
look like, be similar to, be like, bear a resemblance to, remind one of, put one in mind of, take after, favour, have a look of, make one think of; approximate to, smack of, have (all) the hallmarks of, correspond to, be not dissimilar to, be not unlike; echo, mirror, duplicate, parallel; Zoology & Botanymimic
archaic bear semblance to
Middle English: from Old French resembler, based on Latin similare (from similis 'like').
( rare )
- More example sentences
- This emerged as a resembler of the previous legal arrangements.
- Possibly there may come some resembler of Masih who may be buried near the mausoleum of the Prophet.
- I saw the French king (Louis XIV) with greater pleasure as the friend and resembler of my own royal patron.