Definition of resemble in English:
- The theory of dogs resembling their owners was put to the test at a fun dog show recently.
- Figures resembling servants often appear along with the flight crews.
- The beets are cut up mechanically into slices in machines resembling giant food processors.
- 1resembler noun ( rare)
- Example sentences
- This emerged as a resembler of the previous legal arrangements.
- Possibly there may come some resembler of Masih who may be buried near the mausoleum of the Prophet.
- I saw the French king (Louis XIV) with greater pleasure as the friend and resembler of my own royal patron.
similar from late 16th century:
This was also originally a term in anatomy meaning ‘homogeneous’. It comes from Latin similis ‘like’. The literary device simile for drawing comparisons (Late Middle English) is from the same source; as are simulate (mid 17th century), resemble (Middle English), and semblance (Middle English).
Words that rhyme with resembleassemble, dissemble, Kemble, tremble
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.