Definition of resonator in English:
1An apparatus that increases the resonance of a sound, especially a hollow part of a musical instrument.
- One of the most important skills to be learnt is the adjustment of the resonators to produce different vocal tone-colours, according to the mood and emotional content of the music.
- The bridge rests on a taut membrane which covers the resonator.
- Other instruments used included rattles, whistles, flutes, mouth harps, and stringed-instruments constructed with a bow and resonator.
1.1A musical or scientific instrument responding to a single sound or note, used for detecting it when it occurs in combination with other sounds.
- The frequency of nanomechanical resonators is generally determined by reflecting a laser off the resonator.
- A combination of Helmholtz resonators on the back wall and absorbers in the ceiling help control the low frequencies.
- The mechanical resonator's response over the frequency range depends on various characteristics of the liquid being tested, such as the temperature, viscosity, and other physical properties.
1.2 Physics A device that displays electrical resonance, especially one used for the detection of radio waves.
- The DFB substrate provides the low threshold operation and wavelength selectable capabilities inherent to resonators based on this approach.
- The resonator assembly includes a first electrode held in contact with the base layer, a second electrode, and a piezoelectric layer held between the first and the second electrodes.
- A quartz crystal resonator depends on the piezo-electric effect to work. This effect converts a mechanical stress in a crystal to a voltage and vice versa.
1.3 Physics A hollow enclosure with conducting walls capable of containing electromagnetic fields having particular frequencies of oscillation and exchanging electrical energy with them, used to detect or amplify microwaves.
- Traditional microwave sources remove the competition by using a resonator, which amplifies only the desired frequency.
- The method and apparatus includes at least one resonator placed in proximity to a electrodynamic profile and exciting within said resonator an alternating electromagnetic field.
- The attenuation meters were used to measure the power loss upon sample entry into the measuring resonator.
Definition of resonator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.