Definition of resonator in English:
1An apparatus that increases the resonance of a sound, especially a hollow part of a musical instrument.
- One of the most important skills to be learnt is the adjustment of the resonators to produce different vocal tone-colours, according to the mood and emotional content of the music.
- The bridge rests on a taut membrane which covers the resonator.
- Other instruments used included rattles, whistles, flutes, mouth harps, and stringed-instruments constructed with a bow and resonator.
1.1A musical or scientific instrument responding to a single sound or note, used for detecting it when it occurs in combination with other sounds.
- The frequency of nanomechanical resonators is generally determined by reflecting a laser off the resonator.
- A combination of Helmholtz resonators on the back wall and absorbers in the ceiling help control the low frequencies.
- The mechanical resonator's response over the frequency range depends on various characteristics of the liquid being tested, such as the temperature, viscosity, and other physical properties.
1.2 Physics A device that displays electrical resonance, especially one used for the detection of radio waves.
- The DFB substrate provides the low threshold operation and wavelength selectable capabilities inherent to resonators based on this approach.
- The resonator assembly includes a first electrode held in contact with the base layer, a second electrode, and a piezoelectric layer held between the first and the second electrodes.
- A quartz crystal resonator depends on the piezo-electric effect to work. This effect converts a mechanical stress in a crystal to a voltage and vice versa.
1.3 Physics A hollow enclosure with conducting walls capable of containing electromagnetic fields having particular frequencies of oscillation and exchanging electrical energy with them, used to detect or amplify microwaves.
- Traditional microwave sources remove the competition by using a resonator, which amplifies only the desired frequency.
- The method and apparatus includes at least one resonator placed in proximity to a electrodynamic profile and exciting within said resonator an alternating electromagnetic field.
- The attenuation meters were used to measure the power loss upon sample entry into the measuring resonator.
Definition of resonator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan