- 1The quality of being socially acceptable: provincial notions of respectabilityMore example sentences
- Teaching offered both social respectability and an opportunity to earn a living.
- It describes the way the lower castes tend to imitate the customs and rituals of the upper layers in order to gain social respectability.
- What they seemed to entirely be missing in their analysis is the notion of respectability.
- 1.1The quality of being accepted as valid or important within a particular field: scientific respectabilityMore example sentences
- They desperately crave scientific respectability, but it is their own theory that prevents them from attaining it.
- In this way, perhaps, he seeks to cloak his book in an aura of scientific respectability.
- Now many astrologers seem to have a hankering, a hunger even, for scientific respectability that never fails to amaze me.
More definitions of respectabilityDefinition of respectability in:
- The US English dictionary