Definition of respondent in English:
1 Law A party against whom a petition is filed, especially one in an appeal or a divorce case.
- Very well, and these other affidavits, I take it, are affidavits filed by the respondent.
- The appellant's second ground of appeal is that the respondents are not suitable to be the donor's attorneys.
- The first respondents to the appeal must pay the appellant's costs of the application.
2A person who replies to something, especially one supplying information for a questionnaire or responding to an advertisement: out of the many thousands of respondents to our questionnaire, under a fifth were full-time housewives
More example sentences
- Always be clear about how you want respondents to indicate their replies when answering closed questions.
- The questionnaire invited respondents to comment on each of the 31 indicators.
- At two years follow up we sent a postal questionnaire to those respondents who had been free of forearm pain at baseline.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
1 Law In the position of a party defending against a petition: the respondent defendant
More example sentences
- Now, of course, none of the respondent defendants were parties to that action.
- It was submitted by Counsel for the respondent party that not to decide a matter referred to him for his decision amounted to giving a decision in excess of the jurisdiction of the adjudicator.
- But if he is named as a respondent, he is a respondent party to the proceedings, is he not?
3 Psychology Involving or denoting a response, especially a conditioned reflex, to a specific stimulus.
- The results demonstrated that the sociality of a situation potentiates respondent laughter.
- Suppose a student cannot correctly state the distinction between operant and respondent behavior but can shape the lever press.
- The kind of behavior that is correlated with specific eliciting stimuli may be called respondent behavior, and a given correlation a respondent.
Words that rhyme with respondentco-respondent, correspondent, despondent, fondant
Definition of respondent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.