Definition of respondent in English:
1 Law A party against whom a petition is filed, especially one in an appeal or a divorce case.
- Very well, and these other affidavits, I take it, are affidavits filed by the respondent.
- The appellant's second ground of appeal is that the respondents are not suitable to be the donor's attorneys.
- The first respondents to the appeal must pay the appellant's costs of the application.
2A person who replies to something, especially one supplying information for a questionnaire or responding to an advertisement: out of the many thousands of respondents to our questionnaire, under a fifth were full-time housewives
More example sentences
- Always be clear about how you want respondents to indicate their replies when answering closed questions.
- The questionnaire invited respondents to comment on each of the 31 indicators.
- At two years follow up we sent a postal questionnaire to those respondents who had been free of forearm pain at baseline.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
1 Law In the position of a party defending against a petition: the respondent defendant
More example sentences
- Now, of course, none of the respondent defendants were parties to that action.
- It was submitted by Counsel for the respondent party that not to decide a matter referred to him for his decision amounted to giving a decision in excess of the jurisdiction of the adjudicator.
- But if he is named as a respondent, he is a respondent party to the proceedings, is he not?
3 Psychology Involving or denoting a response, especially a conditioned reflex, to a specific stimulus.
- The results demonstrated that the sociality of a situation potentiates respondent laughter.
- Suppose a student cannot correctly state the distinction between operant and respondent behavior but can shape the lever press.
- The kind of behavior that is correlated with specific eliciting stimuli may be called respondent behavior, and a given correlation a respondent.
Definition of respondent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan