- Expressing, indicating, or relating to the outcome of an action.More example sentences
- This crosslinguistic asymmetry has not received an entirely satisfactory explanation, despite the fact that resultative predication has been widely discussed from a variety of perspectives.
- Applying this agenda to the resultative construction, one might search for semantic or other constraints on the construction's acceptability.
- The analysis will then be extended to resultative and depictive secondary predicates in sections 4 and 5, and will be compared to some of the syntactically based alternatives that have been proposed in the literature.
nounBack to top
- A resultative verb, conjunction, or clause.More example sentences
- The question raised from this semantics is, where does the causative interpretation of resultatives come from?
- We have argued that all of resultatives, depictives, and quasi-serials in languages like English, and serial verbs under their various interpretations, have essentially the same structure.
More definitions of resultativeDefinition of resultative in:
- The US English dictionary