- 1Restore (a dead person) to life: he queried whether Jesus was indeed resurrectedMore example sentences
raise from the dead, restore to life, bring back to life, revive
- The plot sinks into absurdity, as dead people are resurrected and the Beast is exposed as a mechanical porcupine.
- By the tune of her voice, you might have thought she was just told that her dead family was resurrected.
- The gods of the world are having trouble keeping the demons at bay, and so they come up with a last-ditch scheme - to resurrect a dead hero.
- 1.1Revive or revitalize (something that is inactive, disused, or forgotten): the deal collapsed and has yet to be resurrectedMore example sentences
- In continental Europe, by contrast, where the past is everywhere and every small city has an opera house, forgotten works are resurrected with hardly a nod to the text of the original.
- For the trip inspired him to resurrect the long forgotten ballet Daphnis and Chloe from the Diaghilev repertoire of those heady days.
- The applicants in these two cases are certainly not asking to resurrect that argument.
late 18th century: back-formation from resurrection.