Any of a number of plants which are able to survive drought, typically folding up when dry and unfolding when moistened, in particular:
- ● A fern of tropical and warm-temperate America (Polypodium polypodioides, family Polypodiaceae). ● A Californian clubmoss (Selaginella lepidophylla, family Selaginellaceae). ● The rose of Jericho.
More example sentences
- The resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum is able to survive almost complete tissue dehydration when water is withheld from it, and then can rehydrate rapidly on rewatering.
- The species of resurrection plant known in Zulu as ‘isiphemba’ or ‘isiqumama’ is used for asthma treatment, nose bleeds, general aches and as an anti-inflammatory.
- A few unusual so-called resurrection plants are able to survive extreme loss of water from their vegetative tissues.
Definition of resurrection plant in:
- The US English dictionary