- (Of a work of art or architecture) executed in an earlier or outdated style: a mature painter, he is frozen somewhere in the mainstream of the past, his work a quixotic attempt to make a virtue of being retardataireMore example sentences
- So my perception of ‘contemporary’ work was retardataire, and this was not helped at all by my college art education, which emphasized Abstract Expressionism and Color Field painting.
- The design by Friedrich St. Florian is conventional, even retardataire, the sort of historicism that would have raised the ire of the living memorial movement during World War II.
- Prior dismissals of Brooks as being stylistically retardataire no longer signify in an era that reveres artists such as Kurt Kauper, Elizabeth Peyton, Amy Adler and John Currin.
More definitions of retardataireDefinition of retardataire in:
- The US English dictionary