- 1Less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one’s age: the child is badly retarded they’re treated as if they’re mentally retarded perhaps I’m emotionally retardedMore example sentences
- He was also an adolescent with retarded social development, a Peter Pan who never grew up.
- Now, it wasn't that Tim had any problems with his physical appearance, nor was he mentally retarded in any way.
- He told the court that if a mentally retarded suspect was not competent to waive his rights, then the jury should not be allowed to hear the testimony of Russell.
In the sense 'less advanced in development than is usual for one’s age', retarded dates from the late 19th century. It has acquired offensive connotations and has now been replaced by terms such as learning-disabled or having learning difficulties.
More definitions of retardedDefinition of retarded in:
- The US English dictionary