- A system of criminal justice based on the punishment of offenders rather than on rehabilitation.More example sentences
- As I thought about what had gone on in South Africa, I too sometimes felt that the qualities of soul required to restrain the impulse of retributive justice came close to saintliness.
- He challenged "that the cycle of reprisal and counter-reprisal had to be broken and that the only way to do this was to go beyond retributive justice to restorative justice "
- I did correctly predict one or two of his points: that progressive justice supports the self interest of its practitioners and that one of the virtues of retributive justice is that it reinforces the badness of crimes in the public mind.
More definitions of retributive justiceDefinition of retributive justice in:
- The US English dictionary