Definition of retriever in English:
1A dog of a breed used for retrieving game.
- Prior to the 1800s, European hunters maintained a large collection of dogs - pointers to locate the game; setters and retrievers to retrieve it; hounds to trail quarry over long distances.
- Spaniels, terriers, retrievers - each breed has a different personality.
- Large dogs, such as retrievers, Dobermans, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks, make great running mates because they've been bred to have long, graceful strides and sturdy joints.
2A person who retrieves something.
- Unitarians saw themselves as the retrievers of a lost purity.
- Parking service attendants, workers in warehouses with equipment traffic, shopping cart retrievers, maintenance workers, and delivery vehicle drivers would wear this class of garment.
- Others suggested that his service was little more than a résumé retriever - not the kind of in-depth service for which customers would pay top dollar.
Words that rhyme with retrieverachiever, believer, cleaver, deceiver, diva, Eva, fever, Geneva, griever, heaver, leaver, lever, Neva, perceiver, receiver, reiver, reliever, Shiva, underachiever, viva, weaver, weever
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan