Definition of returnee in English:
1.1A refugee returning from abroad.
- These refugees and returnees settled either in their home villages or in refugee camps.
- A returnee who is not in possession of valid Turkish travel documents is likely to be kept in custody for an in-depth interrogation (which is to be distinguished from the routine identity check on arrival).
- Most left last year after U.N. officials started repatriating returnees driven out during the war.
1.2A member of the armed forces returning from overseas duty.
- I've never noticed a list of returnees on any memorial elsewhere.
- A common denominator for many returnees is the experience of having sustained anticipatory anxiety about potential threats to life and limb at any hour of the day and at any place within the theater of operations.
- Military returnees face several psychological challenges, including the shift away from an adaptive, continuous, combat-ready, hypervigilant state.
1.3A person returning to work, especially after bringing up a family.
- If returnees haven't gained any significant business experience during their absence, they usually return to the same position with the same salary that they had before, assuming that position is available.
- Educated urbanites are often the elite returnees to ancestral villages and are often given authority to set development agendas.
- The influx of horses last year led to a similar influx of new trainers and jockeys, supplementing a well-respected group of returnees.
Definition of returnee in:
- US English dictionary