- (In the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) the official in each constituency or electorate who conducts an election and announces the result.More example sentences
- Mr Allen criticised the fact that returning officers were left to explain differences between the number of votes tallied by voting machines and the returning officers in e-voting trial constituencies in 2002.
- Some returning officers who oversee elections have privately bought premises to store the machines.
- One Yorkshire election officer said: ‘Acting returning officers are already dealing with tens of thousands of postal votes in a very small time window.’
More definitions of returning officerDefinition of returning officer in:
- The US English dictionary