Criticize in an abusive or angrily insulting manner: he was now reviled by the party that he had helped to lead
More example sentences
- Adored by their fans and reviled by their critics, not since Stryper has a band with such big hair been so close to heaven and hell.
- In the course of that bitter conflict, Lincoln had been reviled and attacked without mercy.
- They too were reviled as outsiders, branded as parasites on the indigenous society.
criticize, censure, condemn, attack, inveigh against, rail against, lambaste, flay, savage, brand, stigmatize, denounce;
blacken someone's reputation, defame, smear, slander, libel, traduce, cast aspersions on, cast a slur on, malign, vilify, calumniate, besmirch, run down, abuse
informal knock, slam, pan, bash, take to pieces, take apart, crucify, hammer, lay into, slate, roast, skewer, bad-mouth
North American informal pummel
Australian/New Zealand informal bag
rare vituperate against, excoriate
- Example sentences
- As copy editor, and as an acquaintance to many of the complainants, I have received several letters expressing individuals' revilement with the cavalier attitude presented toward women.
- During the years of feminist revilement, Hughes wrote and said little in public about his life with Plath.
- Yogh grabbed hold of a nearby pillar to steady himself, and found out - much to his revilement - that it was composed of skulls, both human and animal.
- Example sentences
- The well-known cheer, meritorious though it may be, seemed misdirected to rival revilers like myself.
- The Scriptures plainly warn professing Christians that ‘the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God… neither fornicators… nor idolaters… nor thieves, nor revilers… shall inherit the kingdom of God’.
- Rig Veda refers to these non-conformists as ‘Devapiyu’, i.e. revilers of Vedic gods.
Middle English: from Old French reviler, based on vil 'vile'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: re¦vile
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.