- A tall red-flowered tree native to New Zealand, which yields decorative timber used for cabinetmaking.
More example sentences
- Knightia excelsa, family Proteaceae
- When Frederic and Octavius Carrington, the surveyors for the New Plymouth Company, began the survey of New Plymouth in 1841, Pukaka Pa was covered with a beautiful growth of karaka, rewarewa, rangiora, kohekoke and similar native trees.
- There were rewarewa, kamahi and rata flowering, tinting the bush a deep rusty-red.
- This consisted of 2 tbsp rewarewa honey, 1 tbsp of black peppercorns crushed coarsely, half a tsp of salt, 2 tbsp red wine or port and the grated rind of a lemon or lime.
mid 19th century: from Maori.