noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A sugar of the hexose class which occurs widely in plants, especially in berries of the common buckthorn.More example sentences
- In undiluted samples, ribose, fructose, rhamnose, glucose, and one unidentified sugar were detected at low concentrations (data not shown).
- Acid hydrolysis of crude leaf mucilage extract in both Z. mauritiana and Z. rotundifolia revealed that the main sugar constituents were rhamnose, glucose, galactose, and arabinose.
- The mol% of neutral sugars ranged from 80% glucose in opening flowers to 50% glucose / 25% rhamnose in senesced flowers.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Rhamnus (genus name) + -ose2.
More definitions of rhamnoseDefinition of rhamnose in:
- The US English dictionary