- A person who recites epic poems, especially one of a group in ancient Greece whose profession it was to recite the Homeric poems.More example sentences
- These cyclic epics were obviously later than the Homeric poems, and from a time when oral composition had ceased and public performance was by rhapsodes, not traditional bards.
- The virtuoso/composer, that nineteenth-century hybrid or monster, reappears in chapter four in the guise of Homer the rhapsode as he was resurrected by Romantic philologists.
- And anyway, we know that the Alexandrian editors consulted rhapsodes on matters of pronunciation, so they may well have consulted rhapsodes on the issue of the division.
from Greek rhapsōidos, from rhapsōidia (see rhapsody).
More definitions of rhapsodeDefinition of rhapsode in:
- The US English dictionary