(also rhesus macaque)
A small brown macaque with red skin on the face and rump, native to southern Asia. It is often kept in captivity and is widely used in medical research.
- Macaca mulatta, family Cercopithecidae
More example sentences
- To better understand how taste perception may vary among humans and apes, we sequenced the T2R gene repertoires of a human and all extant ape species (chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, orangutan) as well as a rhesus macaque and a baboon.
- Concentrations of relaxin in the plasma of the human, the rhesus monkey, and the marmoset during the peri-implantation period implicate relaxin as being involved in this critical period of feto-maternal interaction in these species.
- Research on a fellow primate, the rhesus monkey, reveals a gender gap in spatial cognition, but one that it is easily overcome with training.
Definition of rhesus monkey in:
- The US English dictionary