- A mineral consisting of manganese carbonate, typically occurring as pink, brown, or grey rhombohedral crystals.More example sentences
- Many mineral collectors think that some of the finest rhodochrosite specimens from Colorado were found in the clay seams at the Climax mine.
- It never occurs as a free element, but only in ores such as pyrolusite, manganite, psilomelane, and rhodochrosite.
- It has been found in the Loma Blanca borate deposit at Coranzuli, Jujuy, and at the famous rhodochrosite occurrence in the Capillitas mine, Catamarca, Argentina.
mid 19th century: from Greek rhodokhrōs 'rose-coloured' + -ite1.
More definitions of rhodochrositeDefinition of rhodochrosite in:
- The US English dictionary