- A shrub or small tree of the heather family, with large clusters of bell-shaped flowers and typically with large evergreen leaves, widely grown as an ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Rhododendron, family Ericaceae: many cultivars
- Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.
- With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.
- At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.
via Latin from Greek, from rhodon 'rose' + dendron 'tree'.
More definitions of rhododendronDefinition of rhododendron in:
- The US English dictionary