- A tusked herbivorous reptile of the Triassic period.
More example sentences
- Order Rhynchosauria, subclass Diapsida
- Although rhynchosaurs are not usually abundant in these strata, their presence refutes Romer's assertion that rhynchosaurs indicate a Middle Triassic age.
- The upper and the lower jaws were certainly covered with horny beaks in life, like the beak in turtles and, it can be assumed, in the Triassic rhynchosaurs.
- The wide diversity of large aetosaurs suggests that they have taken over the role of big herbivore vacated by the trilophosaurs, rhynchosaurs, and dicynodonts with their disappearance from the region at the end of the Carnian.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Rhynchosaurus (genus name), from Greek rhunkos 'snout' + sauros 'lizard'.