noun[mass noun] Geology
- A pale fine-grained volcanic rock of granitic composition, typically porphyritic in texture.More example sentences
- A trail up the east side of the mountain, on public land, can still be taken, but collecting is now much more difficult in the limited amount of solid, unbroken rhyolite exposed on the summit.
- The conglomerate was deposited in tributary stream channels, and the pebbles consist almost entirely of quartz-feldspar phenocrystic rhyolite.
- The only thing that bothered me about the book was in vignette 18, describing Garnet Hill, where garnet crystals in rhyolite can still be collected.
mid 19th century: from German Rhyolit, from Greek rhuax 'lava stream' + lithos 'stone'.
More definitions of rhyoliteDefinition of rhyolite in:
- The US English dictionary