(abbreviation: R & B)
- A form of popular music of US black origin which arose during the 1940s from blues, with the addition of driving rhythms taken from jazz. It was an immediate precursor of rock and roll.More example sentences
- Our sound is a crazy blend of hip hop, R & B and electronic sounds.
- Second, while many festivals seek to preserve the Delta blues, most feature a variety of musical styles, including rhythm and blues, soul, gospel, and rock and roll.
- For just as with rhythm and blues, hip hop is also riddled with racial, ethnic, class, gender, and generational contradictions.
More definitions of rhythm and bluesDefinition of rhythm and blues in:
- The US English dictionary