Definition of rial in English:
1The basic monetary unit of Iran and Oman, equal to 100 dinars in Iran and 1,000 baiza in Oman.
- Some other ‘royal’ currencies are the real, the rial (Iran, Oman, Yemen), and the riyal - all stemming from Latin regalis.
- The exchange rate gives some indication of this: there are about 9,000 rials to the US dollar.
- People say we get paid in rials, the Iranian currency, but face expenses in dollars, which are worth much more.
2 (usually riyal) The basic monetary unit of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Yemen, equal to 100 halala in Saudi Arabia, 100 dirhams in Qatar, and 100 fils in Yemen.
- The ambassador is alleged to have deposited international drafts in Saudi Arabian riyals in amounts of between $2 million and $4 million, according to reports in the Washington Post.
- A large cache of ammunition, 250,000 riyals in cash and a check for 20 million Saudi riyals were all found in the terrorists' lair after the three-day standoff came to an end, indicating how well - armed and financed they were.
- A Tamimi manager says the company pays an average salary of one Saudi riyal a day and grants leave once every two years.