noun[mass noun] British
- The building of houses along a main road, especially one leading out of a town or village.More example sentences
- On either side were buildings made of brick with carved stonework and classical mouldings, suggesting that the town consisted of about a mile of ribbon development along the line of the road.
- In his objection to Ms Ashton's development, Cllr Doyle wrote: ‘Another house on the road would contribute to ribbon development.’
- They argued that due to the nature of the development area of Ballylinan all future development would be carried out in backland areas to further reinforce the existing Main Street of the town and to prevent ribbon development.
More definitions of ribbon developmentDefinition of ribbon development in:
- The US English dictionary