Definition of ribosome in English:
A minute particle consisting of RNA and associated proteins found in large numbers in the cytoplasm of living cells. They bind messenger RNA and transfer RNA to synthesize polypeptides and proteins.
- Motors, such as RNA polymerases and ribosomes, produce trailing strands of mRNA and protein, respectively.
- Thus transcribing RNA polymerases and ribosomes may all be bound to the same RNA molecule while marching in the same direction.
- This necessitated a mechanism for the import of the now nucleus-encoded proteins, which are synthesized at free ribosomes in the cytoplasm.
- 1ribosomal adjective
- Example sentences
- Almost all eukaryotes have multiple copies of their nuclear ribosomal RNA cistrons, arranged in a long tandem array.
- Both subunits are composed of long RNA strands complexed with ribosomal proteins.
- Gene order changes involving protein-encoding and ribosomal RNA genes are rare events within most animal phyla.
Definition of ribosome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.