Definition of ribosome in English:
A minute particle consisting of RNA and associated proteins found in large numbers in the cytoplasm of living cells. They bind messenger RNA and transfer RNA to synthesize polypeptides and proteins.
- Motors, such as RNA polymerases and ribosomes, produce trailing strands of mRNA and protein, respectively.
- Thus transcribing RNA polymerases and ribosomes may all be bound to the same RNA molecule while marching in the same direction.
- This necessitated a mechanism for the import of the now nucleus-encoded proteins, which are synthesized at free ribosomes in the cytoplasm.
- Example sentences
- Almost all eukaryotes have multiple copies of their nuclear ribosomal RNA cistrons, arranged in a long tandem array.
- Both subunits are composed of long RNA strands complexed with ribosomal proteins.
- Gene order changes involving protein-encoding and ribosomal RNA genes are rare events within most animal phyla.
Definition of ribosome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India