noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A sugar of the pentose class which is an important intermediate in carbohydrate metabolism and photosynthesis.More example sentences
- Among the genes that do not have to be expressed in heterotrophic algae or plants is rbcL, which encodes one of the most abundant proteins in photosynthetic organisms, ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase.
- All plants and algae share the same bifunctional enzyme, ribulose - 1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco, EC 18.104.22.168 [EC]) for photosynthetic CO 2 fixation.
- This was reflected in a greater loss of ribulose 1,5 biophosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and, to a lesser extent, loss of LHCPII in leaves of wild-type plants compared with stay-green plants.
1930s: from ribose + -ulose.
More definitions of ribuloseDefinition of ribulose in:
- The US English dictionary