(also ricercare /ˌriːtʃəˈkɑːreɪ, -ri/)
noun (plural ricercars or ricercari)Music
- An elaborate contrapuntal instrumental composition in fugal or canonic style, typically of the 16th to 18th centuries.More example sentences
- In the Mulliner Book the term is applied in this way, and voluntaries there are seen to be a sort of contrapuntal fantasia or ricercar without any cantus firmus.
- In the music, a complex web of ricercars, or intricate contrapuntal studies, seems to reflect the labyrinth of Saragossa's subterranean corridors through which the prisoner stumbles.
- At this point I compared the structures of Bach's two ricercars with that of Handel's Fuga V.
from Italian ricercare 'search out'.
More definitions of ricercarDefinition of ricercar in:
- The US English dictionary