1The sport or activity of riding horses: I found him in the stables, getting ready to go riding
More example sentences
- The guide showed us a little of the town, and we walked behind the castle to see the long walk where the queen goes riding.
- He thought maybe they could go riding, or hunting.
- He was invited to go riding with the president at his ranch in Texas.
2An electoral district of Canada.
- The country is divided into districts or ridings electing one MP each.
- Mr Toews has run a positive campaign and presented his ideas and his beliefs for the riding and for Canada.
- The best the local Liberals can hope for now is that the newly merged Conservative Party of Canada selects a no-name candidate to run in the riding of Richmond.
Old English trithing, from Old Norse thrithjungr 'third part', from thrithi 'third'. The initial th- was lost due to assimilation with the preceding -t of East, West, or with the -th of North.