- 1The sport or activity of riding horses.More example sentences
- The resort is centrally located to many wineries and other attractions, such as golf, horseback riding, sport fishing and hiking.
- Other popular sports include horseback riding, hunting, and camel racing.
- Bike riding, skateboarding and horseback riding are all sports that require helmets.
- 1 (usually the East/North/West Riding) One of three former administrative divisions of Yorkshire.More example sentences
- The worst were the East and West Ridings, Lincolnshire, Birmingham, Manchester and Staffordshire.
- 2An electoral district of Canada.More example sentences
- The country is divided into districts or ridings electing one MP each.
- Mr Toews has run a positive campaign and presented his ideas and his beliefs for the riding and for Canada.
- The best the local Liberals can hope for now is that the newly merged Conservative Party of Canada selects a no-name candidate to run in the riding of Richmond.
Old English trithing, from Old Norse thrithjungr 'third part', from thrithi 'third'. The initial th- was lost due to assimilation with the preceding -t of East, West, or with the -th of North.