Definition of rigging in English:
1The system of ropes or chains employed to support a ship’s masts ( standing rigging) and to control or set the yards and sails ( running rigging): I’m listening to the wind in the rigging
More example sentences
- Most spectacular were the bone models of men-at-war ships whose rigging was made of human hair and sails of paper.
- As we waited in the queue on the wharf, my first impression was of the tremendous amount of rope involved in supporting the rigging and in controlling the set of the sails.
- We descended through the intact rigging on the main mast until we hit the main deck at about 25m.
2The ropes and wires supporting the structure of an airship, biplane, hang-glider, or parachute.
- The crew held on to the rigging lines of his parachute as he crawled along the wing towards the fire, making holes in the wing with his hands and feet.
- His feet became entangled in the parachute's rigging lines and he began spiralling downward, head first.
- Ed chopped off a section of the keel from my Airwave K4 just behind the rear rigging wires to allow room for the prop.
2.1The system of cables and fittings controlling the flight surfaces and engines of an aircraft.
- The Safety Board concluded that the incorrect rigging wasn't a significant factor on the preceding flights because weight and balance on those flights were well within limits.
- The ground crew would stay beneath the aircraft at this time, ensuring the rigging didn't get tangled.
- The racer was originally built with two parallel interplane wing struts and these were replaced with single rigid I struts but even these did not solve the rigging problems.
Definition of rigging in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan