Definition of right-hander in English:
1A right-handed person.
- Years ago, it was thought that there was a connection between handedness and language, but current research suggests that right-handers and about 70% of left-handers utilise the left brain for speech.
- Therefore although both right-handers and left-handers put on their right shoe first (because of prominence to the right side), there is a difference with regard to tying their laces.
- The fact that this most coveted world record has been held by left-handers for the last 47 years fuels the decades-old theory that left-handers, as a rule, are more gifted than the orthodox right-handers.
1.1A blow struck with the right hand.
- Edinburgh-based light welterweight Young was too fast and powerful for Thorpe and the second of two solid right-handers sent him to the canvas.
- When the goal went in, Bullock screeched at his defenders and then punched the turf with some forceful right-handers, surely recognising that their already mountainous task had just got a lot steeper.
2A corner on a road or racing track that bends to the right.
- From sixth on the grid, Tom made a strong start and was side-by-side with the SEAT of Rob Huff going into the first corner, the right-hander Clearveaux.
- The track incorporates 14 corners - six left- and eight right-handers - and the start/finish straight measures 1.090 kilometres.
- In fact the previous corner, a fourth-gear right-hander, is the tricky one.
Definition of right-hander in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.