Definition of right-hander in English:
1A right-handed person.
- Years ago, it was thought that there was a connection between handedness and language, but current research suggests that right-handers and about 70% of left-handers utilise the left brain for speech.
- Therefore although both right-handers and left-handers put on their right shoe first (because of prominence to the right side), there is a difference with regard to tying their laces.
- The fact that this most coveted world record has been held by left-handers for the last 47 years fuels the decades-old theory that left-handers, as a rule, are more gifted than the orthodox right-handers.
1.1A blow struck with the right hand.
- Edinburgh-based light welterweight Young was too fast and powerful for Thorpe and the second of two solid right-handers sent him to the canvas.
- When the goal went in, Bullock screeched at his defenders and then punched the turf with some forceful right-handers, surely recognising that their already mountainous task had just got a lot steeper.
2A corner on a road or racing track that bends to the right.
- From sixth on the grid, Tom made a strong start and was side-by-side with the SEAT of Rob Huff going into the first corner, the right-hander Clearveaux.
- The track incorporates 14 corners - six left- and eight right-handers - and the start/finish straight measures 1.090 kilometres.
- In fact the previous corner, a fourth-gear right-hander, is the tricky one.
Definition of right-hander in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia