A baleen whale with a large head and a deeply curved jaw, of Arctic and temperate waters.
- Family Balaenidae: two genera and three species, in particular Balaena glacialis, which has distinctive patches of callosities on the snout. See also bowhead
More example sentences
- Bowheads, also known as Greenland right whales, are baleen whales, meaning that instead of teeth they have bonelike plates that they use to strain food from gulps of water.
- They also show evidence that humans used harpoons, floats and lines to catch their prey, which included sperm whales, right whales and humpbacks.
- Dusky dolphins, for example, are famous for spending large amounts of time with right whales and pilot whales, while bottlenose dolphins seem to enjoy the company of humpback whales.
More definitions of right whaleDefinition of right whale in:
- The US English dictionary