Definition of rigorism in English:
1Extreme strictness in interpreting or enforcing a law or principle.
- It is self-scourging rigorism of an extreme kind.
- He worked with rigorism accentuated by simple form and minimalist details.
1.1The Roman Catholic doctrine that in doubtful cases of conscience the strict course is always to be followed.
- By contrast, the sort of Church that Montanus offered was one of ecstatic prophecy, immediate eschatology, ascetic moral rigorism, and, at the same time, institutional chaos.
- Nevertheless the rigorism of his ascetic resolve was never relaxed.
- A ‘dubious rigorism’ led some in the early church to condemn recourse to secular therapies, and monastic communities at times have used only prayer and other spiritual remedies to treat bodily illness.
- rigorist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- His theology and his disciplines were rigorist, but he as a man who lived them himself with great commitment and dedication.
- Various groups of rigorists (usually termed Spirituals) began openly to accuse their opponents of laxity in the observance of poverty and even to disobey their superiors.
- Against the rigorists, I am inclined to agree with Cardinal Ratzinger that a measure of flexibility and openness is in order.
Definition of rigorism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.