- A tall coniferous tree with dark brown flaking bark, which is the chief native softwood tree of New Zealand. The timber is used for furniture and interior fittings. Also called red pine.
More example sentences
- Dacrydium cupressinum, family Podocarpaceae
- At first silver pine and totara were the chosen timbers, but later the demand changed to kahikatea and rimu, and these timbers were the predominant product from the West Coast timber industry.
- Native species such as rimu and kahikatea were far better able to withstand the storm stresses.
- Trees in the bush include kahikitea, rimu, thin-barked totara, matai and miro.
mid 19th century: from Maori.