1A quick, clever reply to an insult or criticism.
- The dialogue, too, feels like piecework, as if the bons mots and ripostes have been assembled from a library of index cards.
- One-liners were bouncing around my head, ripostes to every single barb, especially those from the fat bloke.
- Could the woman who repackaged star quality for the post-Vietnam age do what any successful talk show host has to: pretend to listen to other people while thinking up witty ripostes?
2A quick return thrust in fencing.
- Forcing the blade aside, he delivered a crushing riposte, thrusting with his weapon towards his midriff.
- His every thrust was blocked or parried, and the riposte that followed each left him with another leaking wound.
- Lex parried his father's attacks without trying too hard and pressed his own ripostes well.
1 [with direct speech] Make a quick, clever reply to an insult or criticism: ‘You’ve got a strange sense of honour,’ Grant riposted
More example sentences
- ‘Too soon to tell,’ he laconically riposted.
- ‘You and a number of people tried to cash in on the thing and when you didn't get your way, you tried to make sure I didn't get it off the ground,’ the witness riposted.
- To which Reginald riposted: ‘Oh yes you do, if you live in the South Hams, matey.’
2 [no object] Make a quick return thrust in fencing.
- Jack yielded the parry, rolling his wrist into second to protect his right leg, and then jumped back again without riposting.
- They jabbed, parried, charged and riposted with such speed that the blades were indistinguishable blurs of reflected light now that the sun had risen over the horizon.
- He stepped, lunged, parried, riposted, all the movements flowing into the next, a dance of incredible intricacy.
Early 18th century: from French risposte (noun), risposter (verb), from Italian risposta 'response'.
Words that rhyme with riposteaccost, cost, frost, lost, Prost
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ri|poste
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.