- A tropical skin disease caused by a parasitic filarial worm, transmitted by the bite of blackflies (Simulium damnosum) which breed in fast-flowing rivers. The larvae of the parasite can migrate into the eye and cause blindness. Also called onchocerciasis.
More example sentences
- The worm is Onchocerca volvulus, class Phasmida
- Onchocerciasis, or river blindness affects more than 17 million people in Africa, Latin America, and Yemen.
- Officials from the World Health Organization last week celebrated the elimination of onchocerciasis, or river blindness, as a public health threat in west Africa.
- We are planting corn, rice or wheat, and we're also dealing with Guinea worm, and river blindness, and chistocymsis and tropical diseases.
More definitions of river blindnessDefinition of river blindness in:
- The US English dictionary