- 1A coastal region with a subtropical climate and vegetation.More example sentences
- Poor in resources it may be, but the riviera, which in Italian simply means shore, in Liguria becomes The Riviera, a rocky, hauntingly lovely strip of coastline connecting France to Tuscany.
- The Dalmatian riviera in Croatia is fast becoming the place to be seen.
- Trieste sits on the Italian riviera, near the Slovenian border and at the foot of the Alps, terraced with peach coloured villas.
mid 18th century: from Italian, literally 'seashore'.
More definitions of rivieraDefinition of riviera in:
- The US English dictionary