A mainly grey Old World pigeon that frequents coastal and inland cliffs. It is the ancestor of domestic and feral pigeons.
- Columba livia, family Columbidae
More example sentences
- Along with the raven and the eagle, the rock dove is ‘part of a great trinity of bird symbols for Western civilisation’.
- He's a member of the pigeon family which includes the familiar rock dove, and the common city pigeon, as well as the white-winged dove of the Southwest.
- Characteristic urban species - rock dove, European starling, and house sparrow - are currently absent from Baker Lake.
Definition of rock dove in:
- The US English dictionary