- An African hyrax (mammal) that lives on rocky outcrops and cliffs and feeds mainly on grass. Also called dassie.
More example sentences
- Genus Procavia (and Heterohyrax), family Procaviidae: several species
- For example, most grazing and mixed feeding ungulates have hypsodont teeth, but the hippo and the rock hyrax have brachyodont teeth.
- The only animal you are likely to see in the upper alpine zones is the rock hyrax.
- It is a lovely spot and must be one of the quietest places on earth, with no man-made sounds and only a couple of fish eagles and rock hyrax to disturb the silence.
More definitions of rock hyraxDefinition of rock hyrax in:
- The US English dictionary