- 1A crucifix, especially one positioned above the rood screen of a church or on a beam over the entrance to the chancel.More example sentences
- Every church building had to display the royal coat of arms on the chancel arch in place of the rood.
- The rood - Christ on the cross flanked by the Virgin and S. John - placed above a screen at the entrance to the choir, was now an established feature.
- 2 • historical , chiefly British A measure of land area equal to a quarter of an acre (40 square perches, approximately 0.1012 hectare).More example sentences
- It was part of an area of 15 acres, three roods and four perches originally granted to John Dickson.
- Nor is there much satisfaction in contemplating the world with nothing left to the spontaneous action of nature: with every rood of land brought into cultivation and… every flowery waste ploughed up…
Old English rōd; related to Dutch roede and German Rute 'rod'.
More definitions of roodDefinition of rood in:
- The US English dictionary