Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of roof light in English:
1A window panel built into a roof to admit light.
- The lights are fitted inside the roof light nozzles, which function as peep holes to the outside.
- The interior is bright white, and light cascades in through the roof lights.
- People generally prefer light from above rather than the side, so high level glazing and roof lights are more comfortable and are actually more efficient sources of daylight.
1.2A flashing warning light on the top of a police car or other emergency vehicle.
- As the vehicle pulled ahead, he activated the roof light on his cruiser and pulled behind the vehicle.
- The arresting officer activated his emergency roof lights and signalled to Deacon to stop.
- He engaged his roof lights and siren momentarily and the subject vehicle immediately stopped.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.