Definition of rooster tail in English:
nounNorth American informal
1The spray of water thrown up behind a speedboat or surfboard.
- The water in front of us slices upward in a mighty rooster tail of spray as a speedboat pivots into a turn.
- Looking to the stern I could see a big white water rooster tail created by the power of the outboard motors as they took us further offshore.
- The big outboards pushed the skiffs along through the tea brown waters at full speed, the propellers throwing up rooster tails of water.
1.1A spray of dust, gravel, etc. thrown up behind a motor vehicle.
- The Dart sprayed a rooster tail of gravel as he pulled away.
- Lee launched himself like a bullet, kicking up dust over 50 feet tall, leaving a rooster tail of rock and dirt in his wake.
- On lap 3, Bahlsen crossed the line with a rooster tail of oily smoke bellowing out of his stricken block and proceeded to take the first corner dumping lots of it all over the racing line before he noticed and stopped.
Definition of rooster tail in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.