2Having no settled home or social or family ties: a rootless nomad
More example sentences
- Nor did the majority of Harlem schoolchildren ever have time to accustom themselves to the regularity of school life; many families were rootless.
- He was, in truth, a nomad, a rootless wanderer, trailing from one country to another and one place to another, varying longer stays with many restless shorter travels, living alone except when visiting or journeying with friends.
- True, its residents were as rootless and as homeless as gypsies, only, unlike gypsies, they have stopped wandering.
- More example sentences
- Persecution, alienation, rootlessness, the seemingly endless capacity of humans for cruelty: these are Phillips's recurring themes, explored through a range of historical and contemporary events.
- I think about her whenever I consider my own rootlessness and am graced by the memory of how quickly she sought land and soil to affirm her place in America.
- He moved around a lot with his father's job, and a rootlessness developed that still remains.