1British A list showing when each of a number of people has to do a particular job: a cleaning rota Compare with roster.
More example sentences
- The post was found hours later by a dog owner and police traced the temporary worker from staff rotas at the sorting office.
- The rota was a print out of the weekly schedule fastened to a clipboard.
- The review will look at the different ways in which the public can access services, including GP cooperatives, commercial services, and practice rotas.
roster, list, schedule, register, timetable, calendar
2 (the Rota) The supreme ecclesiastical and secular court of the Roman Catholic Church.
- While the Austrians stepped up their pressure on the pope, Francesco pursued the issue through a papal court, the Rota, in April 1726.
- He carried with him a clarification from the Rota, that if the court's decision withstood appeal, it allowed Francesco to place Cornelia in a convent of his choosing.
- In February, the Rota ruled in his favor, declaring that the guardianship and the education of Cornelia Costanza belonged to Francesco.
Early 17th century: from Latin, literally 'wheel'.
Words that rhyme with rotabloater, boater, Botha, Dakota, doter, emoter, floater, gloater, iota, Kota, Minnesota, motor, promoter, quota, rotor, scoter, voter
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: rota
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.