1(Of motion) revolving around a centre or axis; rotational.
- No mention is made of rotary motion from the elbow or lateral movement from the wrist.
- The back and forth movement of each piston was translated into rotary motion by a crank shaft.
- These are potentiometers that operate in a linear direction as opposed to a rotary direction.
1.1(Of a thing) acting by means of rotation, especially (of a machine) operating through the rotation of some part: a rotary mower
More example sentences
- If it had a USB port, there would be a lot of money to be made by selling a plug-in rotary dial unit to operate the thing properly.
- Ellison's most recent expansion provided the company with some additional equipment including a computer controlled wire-cut machine and a rotary molder.
- Dozens of cultivation tools are at the organic producer's disposal, he added, from rotary hoes to new machines that simply vibrate soil to uproot newly sprouted weeds.
noun (plural rotaries)Back to top
1A rotary machine, engine, or device: there is an output level rotary for overall volume setting
More example sentences
- By learning from the faults of previous large out-front turf rotaries and increasing engine horsepower, this unit has performed very well for many courses.
- My experiences with Mazda rotaries has left me an ardent enthusiast of the engine for life.
- An agricultural chemical dealer in the Hingurakgoda area had about 600 small tractors and tractor rotaries, all of which had been pawned.
Mid 18th century: from medieval Latin rotarius, from rota 'wheel'.
Words that rhyme with rotarycoterie, notary, protonotary, votary
- Example sentences
- The international service committee chairman said that it was imperative that Rotarians celebrated the week dubbed World Understanding and Peace.
- It is a place where visiting foreign Rotarians will always feel at home and new members are welcome.
- ‘I can't say enough about him,’ said the former club president who says she became a Rotarian nine years ago because of him.
Pronunciation: /rəʊˈtɛːrɪən/noun& adjective
So named because members hosted events in rotation.
Definition of rotary in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.