(also rowan tree)
A small deciduous tree of the rose family, with compound leaves, white flowers, and red berries. Compare with mountain ash.
- Genus Sorbus, family Rosaceae: several species, in particular the European S. aucuparia, which is associated with much folklore
More example sentences
- Most wonderful of all, there are two brand new invasions of mistletoe in the rowan tree that overhangs the patio.
- I stopped beside a tumbling waterfall and enjoyed a late lunch below a rowan tree, its bright red berries outliving the crumpled yellow leaves.
- The birds still have plenty of places to perch - there's a rowan tree we planted a couple of years ago nearby which is getting large enough for the smaller birds to start using it.
late 15th century (originally Scots and northern English): of Scandinavian origin; compare with Norwegian rogn.
Definition of rowan in:
- The US English dictionary