Definition of royalist in English:
1A person who supports the principle of monarchy or a particular monarchy.
- The royalists believe the monarch is a national icon.
- Louis-Napoleon was also supported by royalists, who had been seething in impotence since February and imagined that they could use him as a bridge to the restoration of the monarchy.
- The problem with saying that you don't support the Royal Family is that royalists always blow the dust off the same old riposte.
1.1 (Royalist) A supporter of the King against Parliament in the English Civil War.
- This was the time of the Civil War between the Royalists and Parliamentarians and Wallis used his skills in cryptography in decoding Royalist messages for the Parliamentarians.
- Political unrest and reform were sweeping across Europe, highlighted in England by the Civil War between the Royalists and the Parliamentarians.
- The Royalists supported the king, Charles I, who believed that he ruled by the divine right of God, and answered to no one.
adjectiveBack to top
1Giving support to the monarchy: the paper claims to be royalist
More example sentences
- Saudi Arabia and Jordan supported Badr's royalist forces to oppose the newly formed republic.
- Louis-Napoleon seemed a pliable figurehead to the old monarchist élites, a means of resurrecting royalist values at a time when traditional monarchy was truly impossible.
- Our report on the Yorkshire Evening Post's premature coverage of the death of the Queen Mother caused outrage among royalist Register readers.
1.1 (Royalist) (In the English Civil War) supporting the King against Parliament: the Royalist army
More example sentences
- Historians of the English Civil War tell us that the Parliamentary and Royalist sides did not divide equally on grounds of religion.
- The pub's history dates back to the seventeenth century, with claims that Sir Thomas Fairfax's wife was captured by Royalist forces in 1643 on the spot where it now stands.
- During the Civil War she actively supported the Royalist cause, raising money and troops.
- Example sentences
- The Internet is a hotbed of royalism; anti-monarchism and republicanism are comparatively thinly represented.
- Balancing royalism with the region's often virulent strain of fundamentalism has never been easy.
- There were two options for royalism after 1814: to attempt to revive absolutism or to accept constitutional monarchy - in other words, royal Bonapartism or royal parliamentarianism.
Words that rhyme with royalistloyalist
Definition of royalist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia