Definition of rubberneck in English:
Turn one’s head to stare at something in a foolish manner: a passer-by rubbernecking at the accident scene
More example sentences
- I didn't feel like I was watching the response; I felt like I was rubbernecking.
- Like rubbernecking at the scene of a fatal accident, I am repulsed yet, at the same time, I cannot seem to pull my eyes away.
- But there were delays too on the eastbound carriageway as a result of drivers rubbernecking, which saw vehicles slowing down so their occupants could take a look at the accident scene rather than continuing to drive on.
nounBack to top
A person who rubbernecks.
- And as a result, I guess I'm just kind of a rubberneck.
- He never was one for being interested in that kind of thing, he hates rubbernecks with a passion.
- That's one of the many pleasures of baseball - a guy can keep score, never miss a pitch, and still rubberneck at the spectacle in the stands.
- Example sentences
- The film company had blocked off this section of town but there were thousands of rubberneckers wanting to catch a glimpse of the star.
- Like a rubbernecker driving past a horrifically bloody accident, I can't seem to stop myself from watching the carnage.
- Let's face it, we're a nation of rubberneckers, eager to gawk at any accident, smoldering homestead, or decaying corpse as long as it is not our own.
Definition of rubberneck in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan