noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An enzyme present in plant chloroplasts, involved in fixing atmospheric carbon dioxide during photosynthesis and in oxygenation of the resulting compound during photorespiration.More example sentences
- The research also opens the door to new strategies that could help crop plants sidestep the unwanted, climate-driven influences on rubisco activase and the negative impacts on rubisco and photosynthesis.
- UV radiation in the natural environment may harm biological organisms by damaging DNA, membranes and proteins, including the D1 protein of PSII and rubisco.
- It is accepted that a protein like rubisco can not only have an enzymic function but can also act as a storage protein.
1980s: from r(ib)u(lose) + bis- + c(arb)o(xyl).
More definitions of rubiscoDefinition of rubisco in:
- The US English dictionary